The end of Swarajyarakshak Sambhaji is nearing and our hearts are sinking! Fans have made their sadness clear by expressing their views on social media, stating they don’t want the popular historical serial to go off air. The story of the Maratha King started airing on Zee Marathi in September 2017 and has become a massive hit ever since. The plot that revolves around the history of Marathas and focuses on king Sambhaji’s fight against the Mughals, has entertained the audiences with its thrilling narrative and performances. But the end could be depressing to watch for some viewers; if the final events on the show correspond with real historic ones, then Sambhaji might be shown as being brutally murdered. In the show, we can see how Sambhaji has already been taken captive by Muqqarab Khan, and will be presented before Aurangzeb, soon.
We agree with fans when they opine that things could have panned out very differently for Swarajya . There have been instances during the show in which Sambhaji, Yesubai, Ganoji or even the other characters, could have acted otherwise, and this would have saved the Maratha empire from its decline. So we bring you five ways in which the empire could have been saved!
1. Sambhaji’s relatives could have stayed loyal to him: Sambhaji got married to Yesubai with the political motive of creating friendly relations and extending Maratha borders. On the show, the queen is shown to be fiercely loyal to her king. But such is not the case with Yesubai’s relatives, as they are shown taking advantage of the queen’s position and her power. Her uncle Kanhoji and her brother Ganoji Rao were shown asking Sambhaji for lands, that would make them powerful too. Maratha kingdom’s downfall began when Sambhaji and Yesubai’s own kin, started backstabbing them.
2. Sambhaji should have given Kanhoji and Ganhoji the lands that they asked for: Sambhaji’s father and Maratha king Shivaji had come up with the idea of holding the scattered power in one place, in order to maintain the harmony and make the subjects of the kingdom less hierarchical. The King’s policies worked well till he was alive as the people respected him. But as the heir to the throne Sambhaji came into the picture, everyone started demanding personal property and power. The zamindari system was banned because of the sufferings of the poor. However now, the rich people wanted their power back and they started asking for the same. If Sambhaji had distributed the lands, the officers and subjects would never have joined Aurangzeb’s army, who openly offered lands.
3. Sambhaji could have thought more practically: Shivaji understood internal affairs well and tackled them with by being practical. However, his son Sambhaji, was more emotional in nature. He focused more on killing the enemy to attain Swarajya and not so much on the internal politics, that was taking place in his kingdom.
4. Sambhaji should have been more careful while trusting people: Sambhaji trusted people easily. Even punishing Anaji Pant was a huge move for him. In the show, Sambhaji was also seen saying that Ganoji Rao or Kanhoji would never betray him. But the opposite of this happened. Regarding Kaviraj, the Maratha king offered gifts to his loyal friend, for his bravery, which was condoned by the Shirkes. Sambhaji was told that this move of his can be mistaken as favouritism. However, Sambhaji didn’t pay heed to their advice and did what he thought best. Due to this, the relations between him and the Shirkes, strained. We believe Sambhahi could have been more careful about trusting people and planning his moves.
5. Sambhaji should have accepted one of Aurangzeb’s treaties: In the further episodes, we will see how Aurangzeb offers Sambhaji one last treaty but Sambhaji’s pride makes him refuse it. He sees no reason to be alive as a slave king for the Mughals. Sambhaji has been previously offered treaties by the Mughal emperor but he has always refused them. We think that the Maratha dynasty would have prevailed had he accepted one of these. But then he wouldn’t have been in the pages of history as the great warrior king now, right?
Do you agree with our opinions? Tell us in the comments section below.
Watch Swarajyarakshak Sambhaji streaming on ZEE5 now.