“The best classroom in the world is the feet of the elderly people.” It is said that the blessings given by the elderly, work like magic and lead to miracles. People grow frail with age but their minds are full of knowledge, experiences, accumulated over the years, which they bestow upon their youngsters. There are several Zee Marathi shows, depicting wise and intriguing older people, be it Mazha Hoshil Na’s Appa or Agga Bai Sasubai’s Ajoba. In the new show Maza Hoshil Na, we see Aditya taking care of Appa, his grandfather. While Appa says that he does not want to live any longer, Aditya dismisses the same, saying that he would always want to take care of his grandfather. But this is not the case with Soham, who tries to hurt Ajoba and makes him feel like he is a burden on him and his family! However, his wife Shubhra ensures that Ajoba is well treated and respected.
Watch an episode from the new show Maza Hoshil Na here.
We need to seek inspiration from Aditya about how to take care of elders. Appa is suffering from memory loss to the point where he ends up forgetting his own identity at times. But everyone continues to take care of him and doesn’t give up on him. The same is the case with Shubhra, who takes care of Ajoba like her own father. If you too have elderly people at your place, here are a few tips you must take from Aditya and Shubhra, in taking care of them.
1. Make them feel loved: You need to make them feel loved and wanted, as, at an older age, people tend to get demotivated and depressed. As a result, you need to inspire them to live and show them that you need them. This will encourage them and make them feel better about themselves.
2. Respect them: You need to respect their opinions and give them attention. As we grow, we tend to overrule the elder’s opinions and this can make them feel neglected. So, show them respect by asking them about their opinions and including them in important topics and discussions.
3. Listen to them: You must listen to them, talk to them and sort out their minor issues. We often tend to get busy with our hectic lives and ignore elders in the process. You must listen to their stories and their thoughts. This would make them feel special.
4. Spend some time with them: So you have a movie date or a friends’ reunion? Well, skip that for a trip to the local temple with your grandparents! Maybe you can have lunch or ice cream with them as well. As they grow older, they step out of the house lesser due to lack of work-related priorities or health concerns but whatever it might be, you must take them out for some fun every now and then. Because who else would?
5. Help them out: Your grandparents might have concerns about how to use the new-age gadgets or they might have an injured ankle. Whatever it might be, you need to help them out with their troubles. Elderly people might be hesitant in asking for help, so do the needful yourself and see the magic!
We hope you liked these tips from us and that they would help you strengthen your bond with your grandparents!
Stream all episodes of Agga Bai Sasubai and Maza Hoshil Na exclusively on ZEE5.